What is Sabeel Institute?
Sabeel Institute is a daily after school Madrasah/Maktab. It is a program designed to nurture the characters and identities of young Muslim children and to instill within them a Quran and Islam centric worldview.
The Maktab is a program that nurtures the child’s relationship with Allah and Islam alongside attending regular school. This program is an essential lifeline for our children who are exposed to the ever present challenges against Islamic morals and values.
Students are taught various subjects ranging from Qur’an, Hadith, Du’as (supplications), Aqidah, Fiqh (prerequisites of a Muslim), Seerah (Biography of the Prophet), Akhlaq and Aadaab (Islamic morals and etiquette). The Maktab is an ongoing program that will prepare young children to face the challenges of being a Muslim in America.
Why do you fast? Why do you have to pray? Why are you even Muslim? Is faith required to be a good person? These simple questions may have simple answers. But, for many children the answer may warrant deeper thought. Deeper thought which causes one to look into themselves for the first time and ask ‘Hey, why am I Muslim?’
For some, a standard answer is sufficient. Others may answer, ‘Because my parents are Muslim’. Herein lies one of the most detrimental results for our children, believing without thinking and understanding.
Our children are not being taught how to think about faith. The first time they are confronted with existential questions, or questions about the nature of good and evil, without a sound understanding of the Islamic Framework and a Quranic worldview, they are dumbfounded. The Quran encourages mankind to be of those who reflect and ponder. Such as,
أََفَلاَیَتَد َّبُروَنٱْلقُْرَءاَنأَْم َعَلٰىقُلُو ٍبأَْقَفالَُھآ
‘Do they not then reflect on the Quran? Or are there locks upon their hearts?’
As a young Muslim living in the west, various challenges and questions are posed to the minds of young children. The constant pressure from one’s peers to the glamorization, normalization and glorification of sin in various media has led to a stealthy decline in this generation’s moral outlook. The struggle and battle to negotiate a position for themselves in wider society while staying true to their religious ideals, added to the abovementioned pressures has led many Muslim Children away from Islam. The lack of a strong Muslim identity has translated into an insecurity and lack of confidence in Islam.
It is for this reason, we have felt the need to establish The Sabeel Institute for all children.
The reality is that the majority of Muslim Children do not attend full time Islamic Schools, while their interaction with Islamic Knowledge in a sufficient manner is minimal. Other existing programs do not sufficiently address or do justice the growing demand for such a program.
The Islamic Society of Baltimore attracts children from all walks of life, who encounter similar challenges. Therefore, the need for a robust program of this nature is needed today, more so than ever before.
Sabeel Institute is our personalized Maktab program to integrate Islamic studies with the Quran, while connecting it to contemporary topics that challenge our children on a daily basis. Sabeel not only aims to teach but to also develop a mindset to be productive, to think, to reflect, and to be effective and confident Muslims in society.
- To foster a love for Allah and His Messenger (Sallahu alayhi wasalaam)
- To develop the faculty of reflection and thought.
- To learn how to think like a Muslim and a Quran Centric Worldview
- To develop an Islamic Ethos, conduct and behavior.
- To develop a healthy and safe Islamic environment where children are comfortable to ask questions.
- To ensure all students understand what Islam requires of them and what it means to be a Muslim in the American Context.
- Quran and Quranic Recitation
- Ethics and morals
There will be fun activities, competitions, workshops, and more inshallah!
- Attendance is required Monday – Thursday.
- Class session timings: 4:30 – 6:30
- Age Group: 5 – 13 years
- Sabeel’s Calendar will be in line with the Quran academy calendar.
- Daily attendance is a requirement. Parents are responsible to drop off and collect their children on time.
- In the event a student is not able to attend, a written request must be sent to the director via email.
- A Late pickup fee of $20 will be applied if a student is not picked up by 6:40.
At Sabeel, we are committed to ensure that all children are safe. As a result, we will enforce strict policies to ensure every child’s safety, inshallah.
- Corporal punishment will not be permitted under any circumstance.
- Parents will need to cite the names and numbers of all those authorized to pick up their children along with a photo ID.
- Parents must come to the lobby to pick up their children.
- All students are encouraged to dress modestly, both boys and girls.
- Girls are encouraged to wear scarves with loose clothing.
- Boys are encouraged to wear kufis along with pants.